Port of San Blas
Fourteen miles to the north, the historic Port of San Blas was the first mission established by Friar Junipero Serra in the 17th century. It also served as the point of departure for the Spanish colonization of the Philippines. San Blas preserves the flavor of real Mexico, which is enhanced by its 300-year-old buildings. The Huichol Indians of the state often bring their wildly colorful bead and yarn work to sell in the town square.
In the 1800’s German entrepreneurs settled the area and built a hacienda to produce coconut soap and honey for export to Europe. At the start of World War II, they abandoned the hacienda. It was auctioned to three businessmen, and in 1951, Governor Flores Munoz, who was narrowly defeated for the presidency, bought most of the hacienda for his ocean side retreat. After his death, his family sold the estate in the early 1970’s. Since 1987, El Encanto has occupied about a third of the original development. The remaining portions contain another small hotel and bungalows that can be rented to expand our space at El Encanto for weddings and other large festivities.